Main Street was to be 65 feet wide and paved with brick from Eighth to 17th. Side streets (10th, 11th, 12th, and 13th) were
to be paved for one block each side of Main Street. Street base was five inches of concrete covered with sand. Work started June 7, 1921.
Watch a World Champion Bricklayer, likely Jim Brown, lay bricks in 1937
Brown’s bricklaying becomes spectator sport
The legacy of Goodland’s brick streets
The streets were named No. 6 in 2008’s Eight Wonders of Sherman County contest. A restaurant on Main Street is called The Bricks by Meg and the mural on its south wall is titled Bygone Days on the Bricks. The restaurant constructed its sidewalks with Jim Brown’s bricks. The sidewalk underneath the Giant van Gogh Painting is made from street bricks, as is the driveway at the White Eagle Gas Station.