When Dr. Arthur Cornelius Gulick died July 4, 1957, his family kept much of his property in the house at 403 Grand. Grace (Gulick) Krause inherited the house from her mother in 1977. Krause died in 1993, leaving it to her daughter, Karen (Krause) Neitzel. Neitzel sold the house to Rod Cooper in 2003, complete with family and medical heirlooms. Cooper has restored it.
The temporary physician remains permanently
Dr. A.C. Gulick was one of Goodland’s most beloved physicians. Ironically, he came to Goodland as a temporary replacement for Dr. Frank Smith, who had been elected to the Kansas Legislature. Gulick set up his practice in 1900 and remained in Goodland until his death 56 years later. He was known as the “baby doctor”. He delivered numerous babies in his time as a Goodland physician.
Dr. Gulick fell in love with Ella Myra Morse. She worked at the post office. They were married April 23, 1902, and moved into the four-room house Aug. 3.
The house grows with the family
The house was made from red bricks from a Goodland brick maker, J.B. Morning. As the Gulick family grew, so did their house. The Gulicks had five children and their father delivered them all in an upstairs bedroom.
According to The Goodland Star-News (PDF), the Gulicks were one of the first Goodland citizens to enjoy the modern conveniences. They added a second story around 1903, plus an indoor bathroom with a toilet, sink and bathtub. They installed a cesspool west of the house and added electricity.
The house retains the original switches and switch plates, along with many original light fixtures. About the same time as the Gulicks installed electricity, they added central heat.
They added a sleeping porch about 1912 and sliding glass windows in the 1930s.
Dr. Gulick’s office was in his home. His desk remains as he left it. Cooper found bottles of medicine when he repaired the home’s foundation and the cabinets are full of them.
The home includes gardens and a garage.
The garage holds his boat and carriage.
More places to see Dr. Gulick’s legacy
Gulick Park at Eighth and Caldwell received his name Aug. 8, 1949.
House tours are by appointment only. Call 785-890-3515 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements.